Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hello, Pumpkin




I must say there's nothing like the change of seasons from summer to fall. One morning you feel a slight chill in the air. Everything feels crisp and cool, but the afternoons are still warm and lingering. Like a sponge, you attempt to soak up the last real rays of sunshine before winter's cool breath chills you with its icy blast. At least, that's my feeling about a northeast winter in the States.


In Egypt, there are two seasons, summer and a so-called "winter." I use the term winter here very loosely as in reality the winters here don't become nearly as cold as the fall in the northeast. So I miss the drastic change in seasons, especially from summer to fall. I miss the leaves changing into brilliant reds, golds, browns and oranges. And I definitely miss the plump pumpkins you can buy at any market or grocery store, fresh from the farm.

I decided to share this smoothie recipe as it brings me the best of both worlds on a September morning in Cairo: a cold fix for the eighty-degree mornings with a blast of pumpkin-y goodness reminiscent of a northeast fall. Also, it will keep you full and happy all morning thanks to the high protein content.

This smoothie recipe also reminds me of when I had my wisdom teeth removed a couple of years ago. While recovering from anesthesia, I woozily begged my best friend M for a smoothie, which she quickly promised me, since it's difficult to argue with someone that has no clue what's going on around her. While I was recovering at home, she was tireless in bringing me lovely cold smoothies to ease the thumping pain in my mouth, one of which was a pumpkin smoothie. So, here's to you M!

Pumpkin Protein Smoothie

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup pumpkin (cooked from fresh or canned)
1 medium-sized banana, cut into chunks and frozen
1 scoop whey protein powder (vanilla flavored whey marries well with the pumpkin)
1 tsp. stevia extract (or 2 tsp. sugar)
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp. raw wheat germ (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a blender. If you have a super-powerful blender, you can skip the upcoming step. If your blender isn't that powerful, allow the frozen bananas to sit in the milk with the other ingredients for about 10 minutes to soften slightly.

Blend on high for 30 seconds and medium-high for 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour into a glass or travel cup and enjoy. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired.

Variations

-For a more pronounced pumpkin flavor, increase the pumpkin to 1/2 cup. Depending on how thick you like your smoothies, you may decide to stick with 1 1/4 cups milk and 1/2 cup pumpkin, or you may want to increase the milk little by little until you achieve the consistency you desire.
-For a lip-smacking strawberry banana protein smoothie, use 1 cup whole strawberries (frozen or fresh) in lieu of the pumpkin; decrease the milk to 1 cup and omit the cinnamon.

Substitutions

I like to keep my recipes flexible for everyday cooking and food prep, so feel free to substitute the following:

-Stevia with agave nectar, sugar or sugar substitute
-Cow's milk with soy, almond or rice milk
-Banana with 3/4 cup ice cubes (although ice cubes vary in size...I'm talking the ones from a tray in your freezer; you know, the one you have to fill with water manually)

Finally, what does pumpkin have to offer, nutritionally, you may ask? If this were speed-dating, pumpkin would say something in the ballpark of:

"I'm loaded with healthy vitamins and minerals like A, C, E, B6, potassium and iron. If you want glowing skin and a low-cal bang for your buck, choose me! You won't regret it."

No comments:

Post a Comment